Wire Recorders

History of Analog Recording, from before Edison to the current day.

Moderator: Arny

Re: Wire Recorders

Postby Dualflip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 pm

ok im too young, can some one explain what the hell a wire recorder is?
Dualflip
Producer

Postby Jay Pemberton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:13 pm

A wire recorder records sound by magnetising a thin stainless steel wire (.0036 to .004 inch diameter) the same way an analogue tape machine magnetises tape. Playback is accomplished the same as for tape, the magnetic patterns on the wire, when drawn across the playback head, generate electrical impulses which are then amplified.

Most wire recorders run at 24 ips, and give an average frequency response of approximately 70-4000 Hz. There were a very few professional wire recorders that also could operate at 48 ips, and with careful equalisation could give frequency response almost to 10 kHz at that speed.
Jay Pemberton
Intern

Postby Dualflip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 pm

cool, do you happen to know like any specific examples i can look up to hear how it sounds?
Dualflip
Producer

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks for the help Jay, I never spotted that we had moved onto page 2.

Dear Jose,
Many thanks for your interest.
To add to Jay's comments you could also edit your recording by using a reef knot to splice your wire.
i.e.
Splicing.jpg

You would also add leader wire to a new recording
i.e.
Leader.jpg

Also the Webster Wire Recorder is well worth a mention due to its running speed of 30ips for which all of the subsequent standard tape speeds – 30, 15, 7½, 3¾ and 1 7/8 & 15/16ips ) came about. The steel wire reel size was 0.0036 inch in diameter allowing up to an hour of recording time.

Here you go Jose, below is an early President Truman recording followed by a great blues player using a Webster.

Best Regards,

Tony.

TrumanShort.mp3 on normal wire recording

On a Webster Wire Recorder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby Dualflip » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 pm

That sounds incredible Arny and i always wondered what gave those old recordings their sound, i thought they used reel-to-reel tape but like more primitive, never imagined a WIRE!!!, i really appreciate the examples you posted, i still have 2 UHER tape recorders given by my grandma and a 2 track technics 1500, and i totally love them but i like this wire recorders, it should be a nice addition to the studio to use it as an effect. BTW the wire "splicing" seems more like a boy scout knot, and i thought tape splicing was a mess... i should have know better hehe
Dualflip
Producer

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Dualflip wrote: BTW the wire "splicing" seems more like a boy scout knot, and i thought tape splicing was a mess... i should have know better hehe

Dear Jose,
It is called a "Reef" knot because it is quite easy to undo.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:29 am

Tape splicing a "mess?" :lol:

Picture doing all of the edits necessary in production work (radio/TV spots for example) but with actual and physical splices!
Tape bits everywhere and few extra reels to hold the stuff you reeled off, but still needed.

It is surprising what you can pull off with tape editing.
Window edits anyone? :cry:
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 am

DB:

Oh GOD!!

Window edits!! :o

Did you use magnetic powder? ;)

BB.
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby Dualflip » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm

THEMIXFIX wrote:DB:

Did you use magnetic powder? ;)

HAHAHA thats what i would call "cooking the mix!"
Dualflip
Producer

Postby rewind1964 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:30 am

Arny wrote:Thanks for the help Jay, I never spotted that we had moved onto page 2.

Dear Jose,
Many thanks for your interest.
To add to Jay's comments you could also edit your recording by using a reef knot to splice your wire.
i.e.
Splicing.jpg

You would also add leader wire to a new recording
i.e.
Leader.jpg

Also the Webster Wire Recorder is well worth a mention due to its running speed of 30ips for which all of the subsequent standard tape speeds – 30, 15, 7½, 3¾ and 1 7/8 & 15/16ips ) came about. The steel wire reel size was 0.0036 inch in diameter allowing up to an hour of recording time.

Here you go Jose, below is an early President Truman recording followed by a great blues player using a Webster.

Best Regards,

Tony.

TrumanShort.mp3 on normal wire recording

On a Webster Wire Recorder

Wow! Thanks for the post!
So great to see one of those wire recorders in action!
rewind1964
Intern

PreviousNext

Return to HISTORY OF RECORDING