History of Recording

History of Analog Recording, from before Edison to the current day.

Moderator: Arny

Re: History of Recording

Postby Arny » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:27 pm

dbbubba wrote:Some of the most historically informative stuff I have read regarding Ampex history Tony!
I guess that I could just copy the posts I wrote on the other thread about AME and jay McKnight's Proposed Analog Equalization here.

Dear Danny,
How did your session go, hope all went well.
It would be nice if you copied it across I need all the help I can get

Did you get my Letter about the Leader 5500 Test Set, I wouldn't be without mine

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby Arny » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:29 pm

dbbubba wrote:Jay's 1973 "proposed" curve sounds interesting and I could do it with the cal tapes I have.

I would probably set it up on on of my MCI Jh-110s.

Dear Danny,
Good luck with this experiment, please let us all here know how it went

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:43 pm

At this point it is a matter of having the time to set it all up!

Once I actually do it I will let everyone know how it sounds and works out.
The thing that intrigues me is the noise reduction compared to N.A.B.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby WrekdaHouse » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello Mr Arnold and Mr Brown, i am glad this forum came up, and wanted to add that this thread was the best thing i ever read.
kindest regards,

Patricio
WrekdaHouse
Intern

Postby Arny » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 am

WrekdaHouse wrote:Hello Mr Arnold and Mr Brown, i am glad this forum came up, and wanted to add that this thread was the best thing i ever read.
kindest regards,

Patricio

Dear Patricio,
My name is Tony, some call me Arny I don't mind either, and I am sure Mr Brown likes to be known as Danny.

Many thanks for your kind words, Its posts like yours that makes it all worth while for us both, and I am sure I can include the other members who also share their knowledge bank.

By the way "Welcome to the Analog-Recording-Forums".

I have given further infomation on what we both have in common on the "Ampex" Forum.
LINK
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24&p=348#p348

Best Regards,

Tony.
http://www.ampex-uk.com
http://www.helios-electronics.com
Arny
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:25 am

Patricio:

May I echo Tony's words and say welcome to the Forums, and thank you for you post!! :mrgreen:

I think you'll find that Tony is a real treasure, and we're delighted to have him here, as we are about all of our members. I hope to see you on this site often, and would like to invite anyone you know who may be interested in our topics to join!! 8-)

Again, thanks for the kind words, and, may I say, "you ain't seen nothing yet"!! ;)
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby dbbubba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:08 pm

Welcome aboard Patricio!

Like the others have said, "Thanks for the compliments. Now, invite some friends who are interested in analog recording!"

The information that Tony Arnold has posted is stuff that isn't even really that well documented in books.
This makes this website quite unique in itself.
Tony is a storehouse of analog knowledge, but he was also the first person I ever worked with who recorded to a digital format!

So, not only did I learn a tremendous amount of analog information from Tony is a short six week span back in 1987, but I also learned some cool digital stuff!
If you hang around tony Arnold you will have MANy "ahah!!!!" moments.... trust me on this!
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby WrekdaHouse » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Hello and thank you all for the warm, custom, personalized welcome. it was only matter of time that some kind of forum like this one showed up, and with such hosts this will be very entertaining and easy-going.
These kind of stories and chronicles really deserve a movie. I really pictured in my head (as much as i could, amazing details) Arny's experience when he said he had to decide to turn paris or frankfurt back to the magnetophons. being in that moment, in that situation, only once in a lifetime.
I was aware of Bing Crosby and the magnetophons, and how tape migrated from germany to the rest of the world after WW2, but the stories of actually being there, in first person, are unique.
I will try to recruit people from here, argentina, the arse of the world. analog recording is almost extinct over here, but i find i am getting more and more productions that seek the tape experience in its whole. the sound, the smell, the restrictions. on the other hand, my mentor (my uncle) almost hates tape now a days. he loves the sound but he says he has not got the time and the will to use it, not all bands deserve it. he struggled with the ampexes for so many years... in that sense, me being younger, i feel i still have a lot of buffer to burn. i use tape for all my recordings (mostly loud sources), i dont care if the tape isnt fresh new (dont burn me on this one!) i still like the sound after a lot of passes all the way.
dont want to go more off topic, Tony i am going to the other thread !
keep the good vibe-
anything i could help,
yours sincerely,
Patricio
WrekdaHouse
Intern

Postby Dualflip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm

damn arny!!!, you just made me feel like a baby!
Dualflip
Producer

Postby Arny » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 am

Arny wrote:"History of recording" as opposed to "History of Analogue Recording".
In the meantime just after the war US forces remained in Britain for a long time and some courted British girls, my cousin June married an American GI.
Through this courting, I as a young lad would often come across these balloon type things in the park or woods, which my Mother embarrassed by my question, explained they were a safety device called a "Durex"

Here is an excerpt from one of my Early Recording Mags where 3M's decided to change their name because of this.
3M's anounce.JPG
Double click to enlarge
Sorry but I can't think of another way to mention this advice. .... :roll:..... :oops:..... :D ...... :lol:

Well I thought it was about time I added a bit more to the History Forum, so over Christmas period I had a little time to go through my Barn which is full of Magazines, Old Gear, Service Manuals etc etc, In fact the truck that brought all of this rubbish as Natalie (My Wife) likes to call it, it had 26 Ton on board at the Customs Weighbridge.

Well I was mainly looking for my old 8mm & Super 8 Sound Film Projectors as the Family had given me some more old mixed film to put to DVD, and I came accross these two spools which means I have inherited the these from my Uncle Eric who must have owned the Durex one as early as 1947 at least.
censored.gif

Best Regards,

Tony.
Durex-Scotch Reels.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

PreviousNext

Return to HISTORY OF RECORDING