History of Recording

History of Analog Recording, from before Edison to the current day.

Moderator: Arny

Re: History of Recording

Postby dbbubba » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:23 am

Were those for audio tape or film?

I have to take a pic and show you my 1955 8mm film projector that my parents bought shortly after I was born.
It was the first thing I ever saw that had reels that turned 'round and 'round and you know how that is for us.... :lol:

The projector STILL WORKS, but a gear has started to where in the shutter and film advance part of the gate.
This means that it is maybe on it's last leg unless I find a replacement part (good luck with that!) :roll:

The "take-up reel" got lost years ago, so I use a 7.5 plastic tape reel.
It works!
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 am

dbbubba wrote:Were those for audio tape or film?
This means that it is maybe on it's last leg unless I find a replacement part (good luck with that!) :roll:
The "take-up reel" got lost years ago, so I use a 7.5 plastic tape reel.
It works!

Dear Danny,
They were both Standard 8-mm Film reels at one time, but when I managed to add a Super 8 Projector (which has a Larger centre hole, I drilled the Scotch Boy out and used a Hacksaw to make the Splines.Image

You can pick up Projectors pretty cheap both my 8mm & my Super-8 have sound facilities, it is pretty good fun converting film to DVD and then adding sound both in speech & music.

A good tip to get your Soundtrack

The last one I did for the Family, I invited those relatives & friends that were part of the Film along while I was playing it back through a projector during a Family Re-union party, at the same time I had a stereo tape recorder running with a couple of Gun-Mics picking up remarks__ ***__ from the family.

__ ***__ from the right - "God I was only 16 then," from the left "There’s my old friend Sally I wonder where she is today" off centre Mic "That Anglia was a damn good car in its time" etc etc.

While making the DVD I would add these comments to the sound track as well music, before presenting the DVD's to Family members, these DVD's were an instant hit, because it would show up in the amount of Christmas or Birthday Cards that you received on those occasions.

If it interests any members I will be more than happy to Post, what method & Software that I use I get the Film to DVD, perhaps it could be another Forum to add to analogrecordingforums.Image

Best Regards,

Tony.
Standard 8mm Centre
Durex-Standard 8mm Centre.jpg

Super 8mm Centre.
Modified for Super-8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:45 am

I started trying to transfer some of my 8mm films to DVD.

I have access to several Canon GL-2s and a small HD camera.
I can get it into Final Cut Pro via a MOTU V4HD interface.

I just had trouble getting the frame rate to match the camera scan.
I only did tests, but the projectors started having trouble before I got too far along.

I'd love to know how you did the whole thing.
I have about 30 5-minute 8mm reels from when I was kid and a 30 minute extravaganza my did edited together when I was a baby.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:28 pm

dbbubba wrote:I'd love to know how you did the whole thing.
I have about 30 5-minute 8mm reels from when I was kid and a 30 minute extravaganza my did edited together when I was a baby.

Dear Danny,
I'll get my gear together this weekend and put the whole thing on as a Post, it would be great because no doubt I might get some sound advice from our Video members, (Excuse the PUN not intentional), after all I pretty well self taught on this so i'm sure there could be some useful tips comming I hope.

But it is great fun and with the material you have there, you won't regret having a go, I''ll make sure my choice of Software is Mac compatible, you will need to check your film to see if it is Standard 8mm or Super 8mm.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

It is all 8mm, but remember.... I have a projector.
Whether or not it fits into the scheme of things.... that is another question.
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 am

dbbubba wrote:It is all 8mm, but remember.... I have a projector.
Whether or not it fits into the scheme of things.... that is another question.

Dear Danny,
They are both 8mm except one is Standard 8 with the smaller centre holes the other is Super 8 with the larger centre hole.
All you have to do next is to check with one of your films whether the projector works, I would actualy go to an Antique Shop and see if they have some second hand film of your type, this way we avoid damaging your own film should your projector decide to take this course of action which sometimes happens if the cogs decide tear up the timming holes of the film.

Another thing to do is to remove the bulb and run the film through the projector without the bulb in place, just in case the running is intermittent, should the film JAM, at a certain place the bulb will burn the film.

I'll add further instruction this weekend.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 am

The projector works, but the claw that pulls down film works off of a cam and it has run so many years that it is getting loose.
The pull-down claw has an axle that rides in a hole on the cam and the hole is getting worn and larger.
This makes the image get jerky at times.
It isn't so bad that it seems like it will ruin the sprocket holes, but the claw DOES engage each of the sprocket holes.

That it even works AT ALL after all of these fifty four years is pretty good!

Ol' Faithful and a portion of the 8mm films from early days.
The big reel is my dad's spliced together extravaganza./attachment][
100_3922.JPG
100_3923.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:37 pm

That was the first thing I ever encountered that had reels that spun around!

I am not kidding when I tell you that I can recall trying to dismantle that very projector when I was about 4 or younger!
It has these little things that look like thumb screws that turn, but never loosen anything.
Every time I mess with this thing I think about being a little kid and trying to un-screw those screws.
It is a HUGE deja vu thing except it actually happened A LONG TIME AGO!
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:42 am

I have just met a guy through email, and telephone, who has an interesting story about a Philips Pro Tape Recorder that Olympic had, this style of TR was apparently used for other reasons during the war.

I used to have a Philips Valve "Pro-20" finished in blue, nice machine.

Best Regards

Tony.
To read the attached, you will need to click, and then Zoom (Thanks)
Eltro Tempophon-1967-1_Page_1.jpg
Eltro Tempophon-1967-1_Page_2.jpg
Eltro Tempophon-1967-1_Page_3.jpg
Eltro Tempophon-1967-1_Page_4.jpg

Here it is as a PDF for those wishing to download it.
Eltro Tempophon-1967.pdf
Arny
Producer

Postby Arny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:38 am

I was brought up mainly in London during WW2, but have lived most of my life in a place called Dorset.
Dorset has produced some great people who have contributed not only musically to our Industry but also
some great products have come from this small area called Dorset.
Penny & Giles
Billl Penny played the Sax as a hobby and was in my studio many times as a local musician.
Gardners transformers
The only transformer that would make your audio sound better, and the only one that Richard Swettenham recommended
to balance the Helios Type-69 and step it up to +4dB.
EMS Synthesisers
One of the most sought after Classic Synths today despite its frustrating tuning problems.
David Helliwell
David was without doubt one person who understood the EMS more than most musicians, his books about understanding this instrument are brilliant, not only that he put a lot of work into the BBC Workshop.

I am also proud to say that some of my learning came from experience with the BBC while I was freelancing for them, as well as when the BBC used my studio.

Best Regards

Tony
You might find this interesting

You can watch Part-2 to Part-6 while your there.

You can also check out this is in 5 parts

OIkgYiSIfQE&feature=related
Arny
Producer

PreviousNext

Return to HISTORY OF RECORDING