"N" module format

History of Analog Recording, from before Edison to the current day.

Moderator: Arny

"N" module format

Postby brianroth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Arny may have the answers, or perhaps someone else. While rebuilding the studio here in Oklahoma (see the thread in the "installations" forum), I reinstalled their two old Audio+Design Vocal Stressers and a rack of five Compex compressor/limiter/gates.

http://www.brianroth.com/projects/gv201 ... G_0081.JPG

http://www.brianroth.com/projects/gv201 ... G_0082.JPG

http://www.brianroth.com/projects/gv201 ... G_0083.JPG

The Compexes are in the "N" module format which I believe was a British standard back in the 1970's and 1980's.

What is the story behind that module format? What outboard companies made modules in that form factor, and which desk manufacturers included "slots" in the desk's frame for those modules?

Best,

Bri
brianroth
Producer

Re: "N" module format

Postby Arny » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:25 pm

brianroth wrote:Arny may have the answers, or perhaps someone else. While rebuilding the studio here in Oklahoma (see the thread in the "installations" forum), I reinstalled their two old Audio+Design Vocal Stressers and a rack of five Compex compressor/limiter/gates.

The Compexes are in the "N" module format which I believe was a British standard back in the 1970's and 1980's.

What is the story behind that module format? What outboard companies made modules in that form factor, and which desk manufacturers included "slots" in the desk's frame for those modules?

The first 10cc Black helios had the modules in the Console as well as the later strawberry one in fact we supplied bot the Original 800's as well as the original F760's that were missin from the Strawberry consul when Lenny Kravitz owned it.

Best,

Bri

Dear Brian,
On the road at the moment between France the UK & Italy not always a point to plug-in for ADSL.

I have the service info for these "N" modules and I still keep the interface sockets in stock, as you say, we used them here
in the 60's and 70's, in fact they are in full use here and all over the world today.
Many desks were built to accomodate these as well as PSU Racks. they were the forerunner before the Helios/ADR F760 series which is why I am in the UK, I am building the second production prototype ready for manufacture ver soon.

Below is a picture of the first prototype (Note) we are Re-building exactly the same ADR A & B PCB's which we can sell loaded or empty for those wishing to replace any old and broken PCB's

Sorry everyone for not posting so much of late, it is due to the traveling.

Best Regards

Tony.
Here is the first Helios/ADR working prototype under tests before I started on the Producttion Version
3 Sample Pics-s.jpg

Here are four original ADR F760 "N" Modules alongside two of our re-issues in a case we built for a Scottish Producer.
Redhook Rack-s.JPG

And here is the original 10cc Classic Strawberry Consul with the ADR 800's and the F760 N Modules.
Strawberry-s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:06 am

Tony:

This it totally off topic, but I wasn't sure where to start a new thread. How are things over there with the Volcano dust/no flying thing? :shock:
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby brianroth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Dear Arny,

Here in "The Colonies" <grin>, the only "N" modules I've personally encountered were those Compex units shown in the photos I linked. I never saw any other modules in that format, nor any desks which had "slots" to accept them.

Hence, my interest regarding what manufacturers (both "outboard" and desk) actually supported that form-factor.

In a way, it was a pre-cursor of the current "API 500" format, at least to the extent that the "N" was once a standard.

Best,

Bri
brianroth
Producer

Return to HISTORY OF RECORDING