IN MEMORY OF SOME GOOD GUYS I KNEW WHO RECENTLY DIED

Hang out, relax, chill, and chat about off topic stuff.

Moderator: dbbubba

IN MEMORY OF SOME GOOD GUYS I KNEW WHO RECENTLY DIED

Postby dbbubba » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Tony Arnold once made a great observation that the average life span of a rock-n-roll musician is about FIFTY-TWO YEARS.
I am not sure that he actually wrote down everyone's age when they passed away and then averaged it out, but let me tell you... he's right. ;)

I have seen a lot of guys that I know who were mostly all musicians pass away recently.
The scary part is that on average they didn't make it to 50!

Last week Mike Scaccia who I recorded when he was in Rigor Mortis back in '86 and until about '92 and also went on to play with Ministry for the last twenty years dropped dead on stage in the middle of a guitar solo in Ft. Worth on Dec. 22nd.
What a way to go, I guess....
Doing what he loved and he was good, too.
Mike partied HARD in the past. REAL hard.

One of my dear old friends Jay Hamilton who was a monster keyboard player and vocalist succumbed to thyroid cancer two years ago.
He was one tough muther-f*cker, too.
If there was ever a fight... you wanted Jay on your side.
He could front a band and if anyone gave him sh*t he would jump off stage, whip their ass (if needed) and hop right back up there without missing a beat.
He was fun-loving guy, but when he was on stage he made it clear that he was not to be messed with.
Of course, this gave him the reputation as a fighter, so guys always wanted to mess with him... that was a bad idea with Jay.
It took cancer eleven years to win the fight with him because he first had thyroid cancer surgery in '99.
He was one of my first close buddies to die and when he died everyone was so sad.
I reminded them that he actually did win the fight with cancer for eleven years.
He spoke with a vibrator from '99 until he died two years ago.
His condition never slowed him down and I never saw him complain once.
It was sad because he was a great vocalist, but he took it all in stride.
Jay smoked a lot of cigarettes and dope and loved his beer... even smoked cigs and dope through the hole in his throat.
awwwww.... He was happy.
You damn sure never scolded him! :lol:

My old drummer Dave is on his last leg.
A rock-n-roller to the core and a smokin' drummer.
After Dave moved to Hollywood in the early '90s he started drinking hard.
When I last saw him three years ago he was like an OLD, OLD man to me.
I was 54 and he was maybe 52 then (there's that number...)
He was like a little, tiny man in his '80s. Really decrepit.
Seeing him like that after all of the years shocked me, but he drank REALLY hard.
I actually saw him about five years prior and he was looking pretty beat then, but add five more years of hard core drinking and then bad health problems.
Once he had been a full of life, happy, chick-chasing, killer drummer, but the Hollywood life and the drinking aged him BIG TIME. BTW... I think he only drank and never was a hard core drug user.
When I last saw him he couldn't even walk without a cane.
He still had a beautiful custom drum set and he wanted to play like he once did, but he knew he couldn't do it.
Sad...

I just learned tonight that a fellow that I knew who lived up the road from me who I sold a JH-16 and a JH-632 for died yesterday.
I last saw him about two years ago and he had just got out of the hospital with a stroke at that time.
He was maybe 50 or 51.
He drank, smoked cigs and dope, too.

Another guy I know who has always been a pill head and drinker is in a nursing home.
He is so eat up with diabetes that he can't use his hands or arms.
He can't even get out of bed without assistance.
He has a studio, but he can't use it.
He can't even roll himself around in his wheelchair.
The studio sits dark...

I'm tellin' you guys...
Live clean...

Be thankful every day you wake and are ready to hit it for one more day. ;)
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Re: IN MEMORY OF SOME PRETTY GOOD DUDES I KNEW WHO RECENTLY

Postby abtech » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Great but sobering post Danny. This biz certainly has it's casualties . . . .
Cheers,

Frank
abtech
Producer

Re: IN MEMORY OF SOME GOOD GUYS I KNEW WHO RECENTLY DIED

Postby Arny » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 am

As Danny will tell you before I took up Recording as a career, I was a Steeple-Jack walking and defying gravity on steel girders all day, a very Dangerous Occupation,
My pastime was Motor Rallying, again a very dangerous sport.
BUT,
I was asked to remix all the artists live work that was recorded in the famous "Cafe Au Go Go" NY, which was owned by Howard Solomon, a very nice guy called George Marshall
was to carry out all the clearances (Arrange for permission from the very famous artists to release their material on CD)

George call me and said
Tony your work and hobbies were a dangerous way to run your life, but, I feel the most dangerous occupation in this world is to be involved with Popular Music mainly R & R.
I replied
No way George, what makes you say that.
George replied
How many friends have you lost through Falls or Car Crashes
I replied, 3 falls, none in crashes,
George replied
I'm only asking permission from 60% of the Artists themselves, the other 40% I'm asking permission, from the Estates, as 40% of those artists are gone to Music Heaven.

See my Website
http://www.cafe-au-go-go.com

That is how I got the Information that was passed on to my Mate Danny.

Kind Regards,

Tony.
http://www.arnys-shack.com
Arny
Producer

Return to STUDIO LOUNGE