APPLE ONCE MADE GREAT PRODUCTS, NOW THEIR STUFF FALLS APART

Hang out, relax, chill, and chat about off topic stuff.

Moderator: dbbubba

APPLE ONCE MADE GREAT PRODUCTS, NOW THEIR STUFF FALLS APART

Postby dbbubba » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:57 pm

I'll make a list and you can all figure it out...
See if you see a trend.
Apple products are now shit.
Expensive shit.

I still own:

Mac IIci vintage 1989 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
Mac 7100 vintage 1977 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
Mac Biege G3 vintage 1998 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
Bondi Blue G3 vintage 1999 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
Grey/Silver G4 vintage 2002 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
Mac G5 vintage 2006 status: 100% OPERATIONAL and never serviced for any repairs
2008 13" Macbook vintage 2008 status: 100% OPERATIONAL white plastic case cracked apart
2008 13" Macbook vintage 2008 status: 100% OPERATIONAL replacement from Apple 4/2013

2008 13" Macbook vintage 2008 plastic cracked/ no wifi / NO DVD/CD drive / broken screen (all destroyed by Mac authorized repair center in 12/2013)
2011 13" Macbook vintage 2011 Battery 100% dead within 6 months
iPhone 3G vintage 2010 countless failures and only working after new battery, new LCD, new on/off button and new digitizer
iPhone 3G vintage 2010 countless failures and only working after new battery, new LCD and new digitizer, home button and charger receptavle
iPad 2 vintage 2011 screen died in 3/2013 (replaced by Apple for free)
iPad 3 vintage 2012 screen died 2/4/2014
iphone 4 purchased new in late November 2013 home button completely inoperable
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Re:APPLE ONCE MADE GREAT PRODUCTS, NOW THEIR STUFF FALLS APA

Postby wado1942 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Really, it makes sense from an economic standpoint. It costs more to make something that lasts a long time because it requires buying quality components. They figure you're like everybody and buy every shiny new thing made by Apple anyway, so there's no need to built it to last for more than a year or so.

In the mean time, I've been doing A/V stuff with computers since 1996 and I first had a no-name store bought 486 with Win 3.1. In 1999, I built a PII system entirely out of used parts. I rebuilt it with another used MB and PIII processor in 2001. In 2003, the PSU died and that was my excuse to start again with a P4. I retired that system (still works perfectly) in 2011 when somebody gave me a later model P4 system that was about three years old. I still use the keyboard from the first system I built in 1999. In all that time, I've had one system fail me. I've had a couple HDDs die (one Maxtor, one Seagate), but they were secondary drives used for project storage. In the mean time, I was working on a concert production situation handling the live mix. Video and multi-track audio handled by a real-time video switcher, Mac w/ SDI card for video recording and two Alesis HD24s working in 16-track mode for 30 total tracks (the last two were used for the final mix). A rough mix was recorded along with the video in real time, then I'd go back and mix the audio two days later and the video director would beam the mix tracks to the Mac via Ethernet. In the two years I did that production, they had three different Macs. The first one would randomly freeze. The 2nd one died and the 3rd is still running. Next to that Mac is a Windows machine that they used for 16-track audio recording before they got the HD24s. That computer is at least eight years old and has had no repairs as far as I know. They still use it for playing background music before/after the set. The thing about Mac is, they have a very efficient OS and a great marketing campaign to get people who wish to be trendy to think there's something magical about them, but the hardware just isn't particularly good.

On the other hand, My AMPEX 440C is older than I am and has had no major repairs. My TASCAM 85-16 is almost as old as I am and has had a complete overhaul once before I bought it and the capstan motor rebuilt (for the 2nd time) just a couple of years ago. I also have an Otari MX-5050 Bii that's had no major repair.
wado1942
Intern

Re: APPLE ONCE MADE GREAT PRODUCTS, NOW THEIR STUFF FALLS AP

Postby dbbubba » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:44 pm

I pretty well agree with your assessment of Apple.
The efficient OS is what wins me over.
As far as being trendy... Well, I guess that I was trendy before it was trendy to have an Apple product.
I started sequencing in 1983 (?) when MIDI was first introduced.
I started on an Apple II and then moved to a Mac when the first Mac 512 s and "fat Macs" came out.
I briefly had an Atari 1040ST which was very similar to using a Mac.

PCs are just too difficult to deal with because of the OS.
Microsoft has tried, but the machines are just too clunky for me.

I do have an update to the story though...

I took all of my current broken Apple devices to the store when I was supposed to have my iPhone4 replaced.
They replaced the phone in a jiffy, because it was less than 60 days old.
However, when I asked about getting help with the other Apple devices the "genius" said I would have to make a new appointment...
NO... I'M HERE NOW! I WANTED ANSWERS THEN AND NOT IN A FEW DAYS!
I guess that I complained loud enough because a manager came over and tried to help me.
In the end I got the iPhone 4 replaced, a new battery installed in the 2012 13" Macbook and a free software upgrades for two 13" MacBooks.
The iPad 3 had a crack in the screen and that allowed them to weasel out of helping with it.
They did offer to replace it for $250.00 (the standard deal.)

I felt a bit better about Apple after the manager girl helped me and I am still supposed to carry my personal 13" MacBook to service center.
It is the one that the Apple Authorized Service Center destroyed.
I am not holding my breath, but maybe they'll accommodate me.
The operative word is "maybe."
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 am

The second Apple Service Center looked at my Macbook and after I told the tech to look closely at the routing of the wifi cables he found the problem(s.)

Sure enough, the tech who previously worked on the computer had routed the wifi cables and another cable relating to the LCD display incorrectly.
All of this caused the wifi reception to be weak, the optical drive to not accept media and the surround/bezel around the LCD screen to not fit correctly.
The second tech quickly re-routed the cables and everything now works properly and the bezel fits correctly.

After months the computer is finally back in operational condition.
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

I once purchased an Apple Laptop but found out I was out of step with at least 80% of the rest of the world, for the Media
industry & Printing the odd T-Shirt it was fine, but to correspond with other business companies it had lost the Plot.

Here's my thoughts on Appell

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Apple believe that if it ain't broke,
its because it doesn't have enough features yet.

Kind Regards

Tony
Arny's Shack
www.arnys-shack.com
&
www.helios-electronics.com
www.ampex-uk.com
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Well, to be honest... unless you started in the Mac world from the get-go and were used to using the Mac's OS the difference would be dramatic compared to a PC (ie. a Windows machine.)
I was exposed to PCs in the early '80s and it was a world of typing cryptic commands and other system exclusive things which were required to get things done.
My first step into a GUI based computer was the ATARI 1040 which had an operating system that was VERY similar to the OS used by Apple in the Macintosh computers.
The first thing that I realized was that I no longer needed to type specific commands to do things.
I only had to click on buttons or pull down menus.

I only used a computer for sequencing work up until '92 when I moved over to the radio/TV production facility.
They were 100% paperless and had an entire business with 20 employees running what ended up being eight studios, two dub rooms, cataloging/archiving, scheduling,billing, maintenance and everything else that a busy studio facility would require.
Jumping over to a production facility that was 100% paperless and used no analog recorders in any of the fully booked rooms was a whole new experience for me.

This thrust me into using Macs for everything (our main recording machines were WaveFrame 1000s which were not Mac based.)
From that point on I have never touched a PC.
In fact, although people will argue with me, there was not a multitrack / DAW type software system for ANY PC/Windows based machine in 1999.
However, I was using a Mac built in 1989 and could record up to 32 or more tracks with endless MIDI tracks.

Still, if one experienced a Mac after using a PC for years the change-over would seem very confusing.
Still, Microsoft has spent a lot of money trying to emulate the GUI interface that makes a Mac be such an eloquent and user-friendly system.

For me, the Mac OS is just light years ahead of Windows.
My complaint is that build quality of the Apple devices doesn't really equal the price.
In other words... the extremely elegant and easy to use machine is expensive to buy and expensive to repair.
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 am

dbbubba wrote:Well, to be honest... unless you started in the Mac world from the get-go and were used to using the Mac's OS the difference would be dramatic compared to a PC (ie. a Windows machine.)
I was exposed to PCs in the early '80s and it was a world of typing cryptic commands and other system exclusive things which were required to get things done.

For me, the Mac OS is just light years ahead of Windows.
My complaint is that build quality of the Apple devices doesn't really equal the price.
In other words... the extremely elegant and easy to use machine is expensive to buy and expensive to repair.

What your talking about in Paragraph one is DOS, I might also add that during those early Days I also used both an Epson
& an Atari 1040 the Latter both in Desktop & In Laptop form.

It was then that I tried a Mac, but letters to my Bank & Excel to my accountant were just a living nightmare, to such a
point one Co suggested I use someone else as they were spending far to much time in getting my Excel Order sheets
to make sense. I also wanted to own my computer not have someone tell me what I can have and what I can't have, but the Mac was great for music & for general media and printed great "T" shirts. and above all I was fashionable.

The answer to your second paragraph, is much shorter if what you say is true, then how come only a small part of the worlds Industry are using a Mac, 80 to 90% are using a PC in fact there are more changing over to Linux these days than ever considering a Mac, and they still own their computer and can decide themselves what OP or software they can use.

But in favour of a Mac, I'm now no longer fashionable. and it is the easiest & simplest to use within studio environment.

Finally if one no longer respects a Mac then I would suggest a Sony PC with the latest Linux system which is now attracting
many throughout the world and is very compatible to both Windows & the Mac

Kind Regards

Tony
Helios Electronics Ltd
&
http://www.ampex-uk.com
http://www.arnys-shack.com
Arny
Producer

Postby wado1942 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 am

I won't argue that Apple's software/hardware solutions were more advanced than MS machines for a while, but I was using a multi-track DAW on an MS machine in 1998 and still to this day, I can do everything I need with an XP machine at a fraction of the price of a Mac. A video plugin that costs $500 in Mac world often has a free equivalent in Windows. I really don't care if the rest of the A/V world is using Mac; it doesn't hinder me in any way and I'm just not rich enough to change just so I can say I'm doing what everybody is doing. If I cared about following the masses, I'd be recording bands on a Mac with some version of "Pro Tools" (I use quotation marks because it's highly overrated and has allowed far too many people who no business being in the music industry to become "pros"). Instead, I started with a Windows based multi-track system and now I'm recording on tape, often mixing to tape and once and a while, even mastering to tape. While everybody is buying up vintage tube gear to "warm up" their sound, I don't have a single piece of tube gear in my whole studio with the exception of my guitar amp. I guess I'm just always running in the wrong direction.
wado1942
Intern

Postby Dude111 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 am

wado1942 wrote:Really, it makes sense from an economic standpoint. It costs more to make something that lasts a long time because it requires buying quality components. They figure you're like everybody and buy every shiny new thing made by Apple anyway, so there's no need to built it to last for more than a year or so.

Ya its disgusting.......We all suffer for it also!!! (Not enough of us WHO WANT GOOD THINGS left)
Dude111
Intern

Return to STUDIO LOUNGE