TRINITY SITE 4/5/2014

Hang out, relax, chill, and chat about off topic stuff.

Moderator: dbbubba

TRINITY SITE 4/5/2014

Postby dbbubba » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm

DSCN1765.JPG
You can add this to the list of "Places that you can't visit" but add the line: "Except on the first Saturday of each April."
(You used to could visit on the first Saturday in October, but Obama cut the military's budget and they had to eliminate one of the days.)

This is me standing at ground zero of The Trinity Site where the very first atomic explosion was detonated on July 16th, 1945.
This is a monument that depicts the spot directly beneath the tower that held "The Gadget."
The explosion vaporized the tower, but there is a stump where one leg was.

The ground still has small pieces of Trinitite which are pieces of irradiated and fused sand.
Once the whole crater was solid Trinitite, but they bulldozed it up and buried it years ago.
However, there are still small pieces everywhere.
I found several, but it is illegal to remove Trinitite from the site.

There is a sign that says:
IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE TRINITITE FROM THE TRINITY SITE.
REMOVAL IS SUBJECT TO FINES OR JAIL TIME.
TRINITITE IS THE PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT.

That was enough for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Re: TRINITY SITE 4/5/2014

Postby dbbubba » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:32 pm

A handful of radiation.

The little, flat, green rock is Trinitite.
The pinkish rock is quartz.
Interestingly, the quartz was more radioactive than the Trinitite when measured with a geiger counter!
Neither was very radioactive and certainly not enough to be harmful.

So, I have held Trinitite in my hand, but taking a piece with me seemed too risky (read post above.)
I could see myself in jail for stealing a piece of rock... :roll:
Besides... what would I do with it if I did keep it?
It is illegal to own it and not really worth enough money to try to sell on the black market.
That is assuming that anyone would be willing to buy it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Return to STUDIO LOUNGE