My Favourite means of Transport

Hang out, relax, chill, and chat about off topic stuff.

Moderator: dbbubba

Re: My Favourite means of Transport

Postby dbbubba » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 am

A car story for all of you.

While I have always really appreciated hot cars I have always been WAY to practical (and economically challenged) to obtain anything "cool."
After I bought a brand new '97 GMC pick-up truck the market research folks at GMC/Chevrolet targeted me demographically as a posible candidate to purchase a Corvette.
As a consequence I started receiving a slick magazine they put out called Corvette Quarterly.
The C5 body style had just come out and that made the C4s affordable.
I tested Lynette to see if I would be "allowed" to buy one and I quickly figured-out that if I did buy one I'd be sleeping in it for a few weeks.
She said, "Over my dead body!"
Soon I gave up the idea of buying a Corvette.

In 2000 I was installing a custom built home theater for really wealthy man.
One day, while he was out of town, his wife approached me and asked if I could drive a car with a stick shift.
I said, "yes" and she explained that her husband (the rich guy) wanted to know if I would drive his car to the detail shop because he had scratched the paint pulling it into the garage.
I said I'd do it as soon as I reached a stopping place in the install.
While I was finishing up I was trying to figure-out what car they had with a stick shift.
I had seen a BMW sedan and a big Chevy Suburban.
I knew neither of those cars had a manual transmission and I'd seen her drive both of them.

I soon found out what car had a manual transmission....
It was fire-engine red Ferrari Maranello!
She assured me that I was 100% covered on their insurance policy, so I drove it to the detail shop with her following me.
It was a nice sunny July day and I drove the car about eight miles down one of the busiest streets in the most well-heeled sections of Dallas.
I was 44 years-old and it was visually conceivable that I could possibly own that car.
I look the part, I guess.

I was thinking that it was one REALLY cool ride, but as I drove along the reality of owning such a car became apparent.
First off, ZERO women looked at me and winked or wanted to jump in and ride with me in that super-sexy car.
Second, ZERO men gave me a thumbs up and a wink.
ZERO business men were impressed and wanted to include me in any big business deals.
NO ONE stopped me an invited me to any big parties, the polo club, an exclusive golf club....
I was just a grey-haired, 44 year-old, white man driving a rediculously expensive car down the road.

Suddenly it hit me... NO ONE CARES IF YOU OWN A $265K FERRARI!
Most people think that you are a rich creep if they consider you at all instead of the car.
They aren't envious.
If you do own one all of your friends had better own one as well because they are going to think that you don't deserve the car otherwise.
If your friends don't own one you will have to start to hang out with guys that DO own a Ferrari or the equivilent.
Only they will be impressed and like owning a Neve, it had better be one of the "cool" models or you are back at square one.

So, yeah... I "owned" a $265K Ferrari back in 2000.... for about twenty minutes. :lol:
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:46 am

THEMIXFIX wrote:[color=#BF00FF]Tony:
I see you found my post of the link for more smileys!!

Dear Bob,
Yeah some are great I was chuffed when I saw the Smiley that turned into a Sunflower, this was great for Helios posts,Image

But the suns rays are black so are lost into the black background
i.e Image

I'll have to see if I can edit it and turn the rays into yellow

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Postby BBTempo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 am

Tony:

Glad you like them!! Image

That would be great, but, I can still see the "rays" a "bit".
Image Image Image
Bob Buontempo.
BBTempo
Intern

Postby Arny » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:50 am

Dear Danny,
From =
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=177&p=1180#p1180

The Blue VW Bus on the left is the 1990 Camper Van, and the Gold 7 Seater Automatic one on the right is a limited edition of only 500, which only 38 came to Britain.

Best Regards,
file0002222222.gif

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Tony, less than a year after you were here in Texas my wife brought home from college a '68 VW Camper Bus.
It was turd brown and had a green peace symbol on the door.
Other than the rediculously small 40 hp motor, it ran fine.
It was in pretty decent shape for it's vintage, too.
The only major thing wrong with it was the sliding door.
It would fall off of it's track and fall to the ground.
It almost chopped-off my toes a few times! :lol:

What made this bus interesting was that it had been imported from Germany as someone's personal vehicle.
It had been in Denton, Texas at the college for quite a few years and had been passed from person to person for all of those years.
It was quite well known around the college (mainly because everyone knew someone who had owned it!)

The really interesting thing about it was it's European life.
Whoever owned it in Europe had toured the continent and there was memorabilia from all over Europe.
There were clothespins in original packaging from Germany, soap from Italy, radio station stickers from Austria, on and on...
You could tell that someone spent A LOT of nights in the thing touring Europe.

In December of '89 it got hit in a parking lot and the driver's side door and body was messed up.
It really wasn't worth repairing, but we kept the poor thing.
I would occasionally drive it to the studio.
At about this same time Lynette's dad gave her a '68 VW sedan and we quit driving the bus.
It just lived in our driveway for a few years and MANY generations of cats were born in it.

I offered it to the drummer in a band, but the day he came to get it we could not get it to start.
He had no way to tow or drive it off, so he passed on buying it.
Not long after that we were moving, so I sold it for what-ever the salvage people who haul off cars would give me... $100.00 :(

Since we had quit driving it we didn't miss it, but it was sad to see it go.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:51 am

dbbubba wrote:Tony, less than a year after you were here in Texas my wife brought home from college a '68 VW Camper Bus.
Not long after that we were moving, so I sold it for what-ever the salvage people who haul off cars would give me... $100.00 :(
Since we had quit driving it we didn't miss it, but it was sad to see it go.

Dear Danny,
In scrap condition that bus today would fetch $1,000 USD today and over $4,000 in the UK because it came from Texas a (No-Damp) climate.
In good condition it would fetch close on $20,000 USD.

The reason being "It is known as a Spltty" because the front windowscreen is split in the middle.
We all live with regrets, mine is, ? I had a 1966 Samba which I drove to the the Scrapyard because it had a 40HP 1,000cc engine was as slugish as hell,
(You could end up with parking tickets even though you thought you had not stpped once)
(Hitchhikers would jump on board and thank you for slowing down, and the jump off again in the winter because the heater was useless)
What with the 6V system you needed someone to walk in front with a torch on a dark night.
LINK http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=7

Today in the UK they upgrade a Samba to a 12V system stick a 2.1 Fuel Injection 140BHP engine in it and the asking price is arround up to £35,000 up to $52,000 USD
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=894325
and LINK
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/75318

My 1989 seven seater bus, because I maintain it well, goes up in value by $300 each year which covers my costs of maintenance, my camper is the same.
There are not many vehicles one can buy that do go up in Value, these buses must have a rear engine and the older the more money they fetch, I keep the later ones because they have a Bluestar Suspension and give you a damn good comfortable ride

Best Regards & a Prosperous New Year to your good self Danny and your Family.

Tony.
B & W Samba.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:23 am

The poor old VW bus that we had just didn't fit into our plans at the time.
I did re-build my '79 Chevy C10 pickup and made quite a white trash, hillbilly hot rod out of it.
I just didn't have the "love" for that bus and I didn't have the $$$$ to restore it properly.
I'll be that the people who towed it off didn't send it to the scrap yard.
Some one either restored it or it was parted out.

The crazy part is that the father of the girl that lived across the street from us at the time owned the largest V&W parts house in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area!

Lynette's father did give us a '68 VW bug at that same time that I did restore.
We kept it until we moved out here where we live now in '95.
Our neighborhood is not one where you leave project cars in the driveway.
I drove that car to work for a few years and the even with new hoses and canvas parts, the heater is a lost cause on those for sure!
Texas heat is around 100 F and winters that are wet and around the 30's F made it a miserable car to drive at times.
The shame was that it was almost 100% restored (only the headliner in the interior needed replacement (it was dirty.)
It had a a straight body with new paint, a new engine (an 1800?) a new transmission and new interior.
It was pretty little red car.
Getting the parts from the dad of the girl across the street made it easier on the pocketbook.

By the time I had the "bug" restored we had moved and were sick and tired of this girl.
Lynette made the mistake of "going out on the town" with her a few times and quickly learned that all she really wanted was someone to go off drinking with while she left her little girl at home with her husband.
Lynette soon was mad at her after she had to have me come get her at some bar that the girl HAD to visit.
Lynette was also REALLY mad at her for "whoring around" at a bar and neglecting her child and husband.
I had to take advantage of the VW parts shop deal while I could!
Imagine my situation!
I didn't want my wife hanging out at bars with a little floozy, BUT I NEEDED THOSE PARTS!
Lynette is a red-headed Scot/Irish girl and once you get her mad at you.... it is OVER... period... end of story.
She is 100% finished with you. :lol:
I had to work fast! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My daughter Cheyenne is now fifteen and will be sixteen in August.
Sixteen is the legal driving age in Texas.
She wants one of the new style VWs.
Maybe....
Danny Brown
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Nobtwiddler » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 am

Hey Danny;
I have to agree, NO one cares that you own a Ferrari. Trust me, this is my second one.
And I'm fine with that.
Most of my buddies thought I was crazy when I bought my first one.
They'd say man you must be crazy to spend this kinda dough on a damn car.

Maybe they're right, but I bought this thing for me, no one else.
It was always a dream to own a Ferrari, and when I finally could afford it, I bought one.
There is a lot more to it then just owning a expensive car...
The design, the driver involvement, and of course the days on the track is like no other experience.
Taking a car like this to it's limits on a track, is something you have to experience.

The model I now own is a 92 512TR, and I have to tell ya, the only one that cares and enjoys this car is ME!
Even the old lady could care less...
Basically cause she can't hear the stereo over the 12 cylinders song.
Haha!
And trust me, it makes it all worth while, cause all I can hear while driving is the beautiful sound of that engine purring along.
Would have it no other way.......
Cheers
Paul

a coupla, two, tree, credits:
http://music.msn.com/music/artist-credi ... m=1&ipp=10
Nobtwiddler
Intern

Previous

Return to STUDIO LOUNGE