Test Gear vs. Spectrafoo

Meters, oscillators, signal generators, etc.

Moderator: Arny

Test Gear vs. Spectrafoo

Postby vineyardgray » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

When I look at all these test devices and consider the total dollar value, I often wonder why on earth techs wouldn't opt for a software package that would satisfy most if not all. I own an el-cheapo dual trace scope (brand eludes me at the moment) and one of the old Neutrik mini-rator units, a Cricket cable/speaker/etc. polarity checker and a DMM. When considering buying a function generator, I thought: Why? Why not buy a software package like Spectrafoo, get rid of all this other test gear and get other utility to boot? (Spectra foo has transfer functions, FFT, and a slew of meters that I can also use to mix and record with).

Am I off base here?

Regards,

MR
vineyardgray
Intern

Re: Test Gear vs. Spectrafoo

Postby brianroth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am

For some applications, a software package can be useful. You will be limited by the sampling frequency of the A/D and D/A converters, but if operating well above 44.1K you might be in good shape.

I know of no way you can replace a good quality DMM, since among other things provides resistance and DC voltage measurements. An oscilloscope is invaluable for troubleshooting purposes.

Bri
brianroth
Producer

Return to TEST GEAR