Analog Emulation

Mastering applications for Vinyl, CD, and Surround.

Analog Emulation

Postby ACMastering » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Everybody wants to build a analog emulation plug-in these days. What's your experience? Do you have favorites and how do they compare for you?
Sound Your Best
www.acmastering.com
ACMastering
Intern

Re: Analog Emulation

Postby Arny » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 pm

ACMastering wrote:Everybody wants to build a analog emulation plug-in these days. What's your experience? Do you have favorites and how do they compare for you?

Dear Adrian,
Only the real thing, all of my masters are finished on Analogue Tape, including 5.1 sound.
No plug-in can beat that, it will only be an emulation of what true analogue can achieve even if it is very good.

I'll start another thread on that exact subject, because I would like to hear your profesional views on the subject, "How do we present 5.1 sound to our favourite Mastering Suite."

Best Regards,

Tony.
www.arnys-shack.com
www.cafe-au-go-go.com
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:25 pm

I have to agree with Tony.
I guess I back that up by having two MCI JH-110s and an Ampex AG-440C-4 at the ready in my studio.

So much of the classic sound we associate with a "good sounding" recording is the product of the material having been recorded on analog tape.
It imparts "that sound."
I have heard a few tape emulations and they all seem to be WAY to heavy-handed.
If you want messed up and "bad" analog they'll emulate that to a degree.

To my knowledge there is no digital emulation of an Ampex 102.

As recordings with "that sound" fade into memory or us types that like that sound grow older and less active "that sound" will cease to be the norm.
I am not sure that most consumers appreciate "that sound" any longer.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 am

All of the "Analog Emulation" plug-in's I have heard just add 2nd order harmonic distortion, and as Danny said, WAY too much of it. They don't "emulate" anything but too much overload. :roll:

However, the Empirical Labs FATSO sounded MUCH less "nasty" when I heard it at AES last month, but, of course it was over tiny speakers in a giant hall with 10,000 other people running around, so I can't say I really got a "critical" listen... ;)
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby brianroth » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:37 am

Arrrgh.....OK, why NOT just use TAPE??? Pride???

Bri
brianroth
Producer

Postby Trakworx Mastering » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:26 pm

ACMastering wrote:Everybody wants to build a analog emulation plug-in these days. What's your experience? Do you have favorites and how do they compare for you?

I have yet to hear an analog tape emulation plug-in that sounds like real tape in a mastering situation. That's why I go to the trouble and expense to use the real thing. Some of the plug-ins can be useful textures in mixing (DUY Tape is my favorite). I haven't tried all of the ones out there though.
Justin Weis, Analog Mastering
http://www.trakworx.com
Trakworx Mastering
Producer

Postby Trakworx Mastering » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Trakworx Mastering wrote:I have yet to hear an analog tape emulation plug-in that sounds like real tape in a mastering situation. That's why I go to the trouble and expense to use the real thing. Some of the plug-ins can be useful textures in mixing (DUY Tape is my favorite). I haven't tried all of the ones out there though.

To update this after a couple of years have passed - now I have tried many of the analog tape emulation plug-ins out there - DUY Tape, Phoenix, Waves KMT, UAD ATR 102 and A800, Slate VTM. And I still don't hear any one of them that captures all that a real tape machine does. But each of them does succeed in capturing some part of it, and each can be a useful tool in certain situations. As far as mastering goes, I've found the UAD offerings to be the most usable, followed by the Slate and Waves. Still, layback to my real Ampex ATR 102 1/2" 2 track has a magic that no digital emulation can match... not yet at least! It's difficult to put into words, but I know it when I hear it. More on layback mastering to come in a future thread...
Justin Weis, Analog Mastering
http://www.trakworx.com
Trakworx Mastering
Producer

Return to MASTERING APPLICATIONS