Acoustic Guitars Steel or Nylon

Discussions about Guitars, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Percussion, Orchestral Instruments, etc.

Moderator: Arny

Acoustic Guitars Steel or Nylon

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I would like to keep each instrument to its own thread so an Acoustic Guitarist does not have to plough through the Electric Guitar or other instruments posts to find what they are looking for

I love the sound of Flamenco if only I could play it, I used to know a guy called Paul Hammond who used to visit my studio, he was the most gentle person I have ever met, the first time he called I could hardly hear what he was saying on the phone he was so quiet, he arrived for his first session dressed like he was in the legal business, he had said on the phone that he played Flamenco Guitar but when I saw him arrive almost like a Ghost turning up at my door.

I took him into the studio and as usual asked him if he would just play, while I sat in another chair to decide which Mic would be best for his personal choice of Instrument, he slowly walked around the studio sitting on various different chairs, (I thought yes that will be important) so I offered him to try some we had in the rest room, “Oh are you sure” was his reply “I don’t want to be troublesome”.

He found one without going to the rest room and proceeded to slowly get his instrument out of the case as well as this little folding foot rest, and while slowly sitting in chair of his choice he told me how he was seeking a Chair that would fold up like his foot stool.

He checked his tuning and then looked up at me with this big grin, You may talk of "Jekyll and Hyde" but he hit that guitar and the sound was just awesome as I was only a couple of feet away, I nearly fell off my chair and all the time he played he would look up at me with this evil looking grin, that made me think that this guy
must be the Flamenco Friend of Robert Johnson.

He finished the piece off and then became Mr Paul Hammond again, I chose my mics and we recorded the first Monday of every month which he would book a year in advance, we worked together for three years, then when he was happy with his performance, Paul finally competed his dream and went to live in Spain, we kept in touch for many years, his work was wandering the Spanish Bars, ( I think they call them Piano Bars in the USA) he would just walk in and ask if he may play his Guitar, they would show interest, he would play for a while and after a few pieces would get up to leave, everyone would shout STAY, the barman would show Money and Paul would sit back down and continue to play, he would only stay with a bar for a few weeks and then move on.

The Flamenco Players Seat ? yes I did ask him, Paul had a Cabinet maker make him a Folding Stool from a Chair that he borrowed from one of the Bars where he performed.
I can see every one eyes in these bars, glued, as this quite guy took out his Guitar, his stool and foot rest, and became the Devil with a Flamenco Guitar in his hands.

Best Regards,

Tony.
My Takamine Spanish.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Re: Acoustic Guitars Steel or Nylon

Postby THEMIXFIX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Tony:

What a GREAT post!! :mrgreen:

Talk about Film; I had a movie of that entire post playing in my head as you told it!! :shock:

Fascinating stuff!! ;)

Bob.
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby Arny » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Dear Danny,
Here is that lovely Alverez Yairi DY-85 that I refered to in my Post.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25&p=1306#p1306

Pete at "Pete's Pawnshop" kept this guitar in his safe, not because it had any real value, it was because of that Sustain, the Neck & the Action which was what electric players will die for. it had so much use in my studio, when a Solid Player was looking for this type of acoustic for an overdub.
I could have sold it so many times, but with me it stays.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Alverez Yairi DY-85.JPG
uselesswithoutpics.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I barely recall you buying that guitar.
In fact, you might have gone with Terry to Pete's to buy that one.

Not long after you were here I was able to acquire my Mossman.
It is a great sounding ACSTC, but the back has a HUGE nasty crack from the dog pulling over a JBL 4401 into the back of it about ten years ago.

It still plays fine and sounds the same.
As long as you don't turn it around and show the back it is fine! :roll:
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby dbbubba » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Oh.... Tony!
I just remembered that Scott Baxendale who was building the Mossman Guitars was someone that I was made aware of by Terry Blankenship.
Scott set up Terry's Ovation that he played with Robert Fripp and The League of Crafty Guitarists.
He was in Garland and you might have visited his shop with Terry,
It was a samll acoustic guitar manufacturing facility.

You did get to go to Charlie's Guitars in Dallas as I recall, but you didn't get to meet Charlie.
He died in '83, but he was one of the guy's that literally started the vintage craze.
Charlie also held the very first guitar show here in Dallas back in '79!
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby Arny » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:41 am

dbbubba wrote:Oh.... Tony!
Mossman Guitars
made aware of by Terry Blankenship.
Robert Fripp and The League of Crafty Guitarists.
Garland, you might have visited his shop with Terry,
It was a samll acoustic guitar manufacturing facility.

You did get to go to Charlie's Guitars in Dallas as I recall, but you didn't get to meet Charlie.

Dear Danny,
Knowing that I am a "Standard Shape", "Full Size" Guitar fanatic, Jazz Electric, a Lap-Guitar or any good Acoustic does me fine , you and Terry did me proud from, visiting Charlie @ Charlie's, Mossman and the Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Exhibition, but the moment that will stand out the most, was when I walked into Pete's Pawnshop and recognised him for the vinyl records that he had made,
Pete said that no one had recognised him in years, his words were,
"A damn blame Englishman walks in here and tells me about records that I had made that are now long forgotten"

He then knowing I was a guitar fanatic took me into his vault where he kept his own personal collection, and said
"Feast your eyes on that lot Buddy", " ring the bell when you want out"
I was locked in there for 3 hours , it was those hours that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
One gem I found was the original Jimmy Bryant prototype Telecaster the one that all of the Telecasters are based on today, it had his name in Mother of Pearl up the neck, case after case I opened, up-turned a Joe Maphis twin neck Moserite, name again scrolled into neck.

Finally I saw this case with Alverez written on it, remembering that Merle Travis, & Johnny Cash had endorsed this make of Guitar, I opened it up, sat and played something that I had been looking for, for years, I have had and still have some nice Martin's as well as my 1962 Gibson J200, and they all have something to offer but neither the Martin or the Gibson with all their qualities, the Alverez was something else it had other quality's which are hard to explain.
The Alverez became the most used guitar in my studio, out of 27 others available, it was what turned Robert into recognising the charms of the Acoustic Guitar, but because of performing live, with the pick-ups and because they were almost free Robert chose Ovation..

Every guitar in Pete's Guitar Safe was not for sale, I asked him who was the famous person who owned the Alverez,
"No one" Pete replied,
"It was just some guy who needed a plane ticket so I opened up the case while he was here and everything looked in good order so I gave him what he asked $300".
"I never played it" Pete continued, "I just hung it on the wall with the rest and put the case in the case-store".

Pete went on to say
“One day I was in the Gun part of the shop when I heard a guitar that someone was trying out, it sounded like nothing I had ever heard before, the person playing asked if I did a Finance Deal and I told him get me some references, when he'd gone I put that guitar straight in the Vault."

Pete also observed, what I loved about this guitar, it had the finest action I have ever experienced in any guitar, it did not sound exactly like a normal Dreadnaught it had something Mexican sounding about it, it was not as loud as my Martins but was still louder than most, but the sustain was something to die for.

"Pete" ....I said "
I want this guitar even if I have to come back one night and steal it, Pete laughed and warned me to remember his pawnshop also sold GUNS, but replied,
"You will go back home and one thing is for sure you will never forget Texas Hospitality, the guitar will be yours, if you pay me, what I paid the unknown person who brought it here, $300 USD."

Five weeks later Terry was taking me to the Airport and asked "Well what's your thoughts on Texas"
I replied " The landscape is about the most boring I have ever experienced” “ BUT FOR SURE"
"Out of all the other places that I have visited, Texas is the place I shall miss the most."
THANKS DANNY, .. TERRY, .. & PETE, the Alverez still gets most of my attention and I do have a guitar collection to be proud of.

I could say "WAKE UP" , but I'm not sure if you got this far

Best Regards

Tony
Arny
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 am

Tony:

GREAT story!!
THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Postby Arny » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:29 am

THEMIXFIX wrote:Tony:

GREAT story!!

Dear Bob,
Over the years I have discovered that guitars are like party's, the expensive arranged reception/party is never as good as when your all in a pub and somebody shouts
"The night is young, I hope to see everyone back at my place"

My favourite guitars are the ones that seemed to have found me, and I am sure that is the case with the Alverez, I have an old Michigan Dobro that has a similer story and how buying this Dobro ended up forcing me into selling a £200 Gibson Mandolin for £20.

Let me know if you require another sleeping potion

Best Regards

Tony
Arny
Producer

Postby THEMIXFIX » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Tony:

And I have similar feelings, like "rescuing" guitars.

I have a 1965 Epiphone Wilshire, that some one hacked apart and put a PAF in it, but threw a slab of cheap aluminum over the crummy routing work. I got it, years ago, for $65, had a custom black pickguard made to fit the chiseled space, and added Schaller tuning pegs and a "Bad Ass bridge.

The thing looks and sound great, and weighs almost nothing.

I also rescued a 1971 Martin D-35, even though it didn't have Brazilian rosewood, because some kid had taken some course sandpaper, and GOUGED the top finish, put on a new mail order bridge, with wood screws he left sticking up 2", and sprayed the entire thing in some plastic over coating.

I got it for $400.00 in 1971, not much less than I could have gottenj a new one for, but I couldn't stand to see it like that.

I had a local luthier, Sam Koontz, who unfortunately later met an untimely death, get it back in shape for me, under extreme protest. BUT, the wood on the front and back match so nicely, and the sanding he had to do made the front top so nice and thin, that it looked great, and plays like a charm. Best of all, the sound was brilliant. So much so, in fact, that when Jack Bruce was doing an album in a local studio, he was told about it, and wanted to borrow it to use on his recording. Unfortunately, he found another one more conveniently located, but the buzz about the guitar was out there!!!

THEMIXFIX
Go-Fer

Return to MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS