Slide Guitars Stood, Lap, Pedals or Dobros & Nationals

Discussions about Guitars, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Percussion, Orchestral Instruments, etc.

Moderator: Arny

Slide Guitars Stood, Lap, Pedals or Dobros & Nationals

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:49 pm

I would like to keep each instrument to its own thread so a Slider does not have to plough through other instruments posts to find what they are looking for

You have to get the source of sound right then the right mic, EQ will not make up for these things if not they are not right.

I'll Write later as its past my bedtime here in France

Best Regards,

Tony.

In the meantime
Laps & Pedals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Re: Slide Guitars Stood, Lap, Pedals or Dobros & Nationals

Postby sturgis58 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:41 pm

"stood" ??? what's that? BTW, I own a National Steel Delphi model & a Dobro Triolian model.
lean15.jpg

OVER15.jpg

DOB 15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sturgis58
Intern

Postby Arny » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:54 pm

sturgis1 wrote:"stood" ??? what's that? BTW, I own a National Steel Delphi model & a Dobro Triolian model.
lean 15
OVER 15
DOB 15

Dear Sturgis,
I could not but help reading your three great pics in the order they are and I had to smile :)
lean 15 OVER 15 DOB 15
Because I somehow read it as
"Lean over Dobro"
Which in a way points to your question Stood ?

We both know that there are other ways to play Slide,

1 = "LAP", On the Lap with a steel in hand action so high imposible to finger unless your Leadbelly.
2 = "STOOD", Stood up playing slide on a conventiol Guitar or a National and other Guitars of ones choice, which I will change to "Bottleneck"
3 = "LEAN" As "Our Saviour", Sturgis does his thing which I have heard through the Grapevine is something to behold.

Why "Our Saviour", we all need to thank Sturgis for the work he is putting into getting this thing up and running for us to sit back and enjoy meeting each other.
I know a little about PC's and can handle most things including my own websites, but what Sturgis is doing is a job that none of us would want

"THANKS again Sturgis" for your hard work as well as letting us see some of your collection of Guitars.

Oh by the way, who's your slide man you listen too.
Myself, Ry Cooder takes some beating as does Dave Lyndley, but it is interesting to know, that they are both Fans or Rory Gallagher who also deserves a top place in my books,

Some ask, "Why do you like Rory is it because you have worked with him"
My reply is
"No its because of his playing that I wanted to work with Rory"

Best Regards,

Tony.
PS I hear that you also play Pedal Steel ?.
Arny
Producer

Postby sturgis58 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Tony - What can I say - I'm a HUGE Rory fan...But my absolute all time favorite "modern" slide guitar player is Johnny Winter. Check out this early film of Johnny playing Mean town Blues. It's one of my all time top 5 favorite recordings. When it comes to playing the National Steel guitar I am a Robert Johnson/Charley Patton/Son House disciple all the way.But...hand me my Stealth Esquire and I will let 'er rip!!

Last edited by sturgis58 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: more stuff!
sturgis58
Intern

Return to MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS