The Acoustic Mechanical Keyboard-

Discussions about Guitars, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Percussion, Orchestral Instruments, etc.

Moderator: Arny

The Acoustic Mechanical Keyboard-

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 pm

I would like to keep each instrument to its own thread so a Piano Player does not have to plough Synths or through other instrument posts to find what they are looking for

You have to get the source of sound right then the right mic, EQ will not make up for these things if not they are not right.

Please Post your favourite Keyboard and comments
I will be showing a couple I have later

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Re: Keyboards Accoustic

Postby Dualflip » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Ok since i play piano (wouldnt call my self a pianist thou) i would like to add something here, i dont know why but piano (mic'ing, eqing, brands, etc..) is one of the instruments that doesnt get that much of attention in audio engineering, ppl dont talk about it so much, and its weird if you consider that its a very important very used instrument. Of course its rare that you fill find a guy saying something like "bring your steinway grand and lets jam", but still i think it would be nice to have users sharing their thoughts on different brands of pianos, their sound, the mic'ing approach they used that best worked for them in that specific piano, or sound.
Anyway, i have a Kawai stand-up piano, which i totally love, but right now im pissed cuz i just hired a tuning guy to make sure my piano is in good shape, and after he left i just noticed 2 keys were very out of tune :evil:
Dualflip
Producer

Re: The Acoustic Mechanical Keyboard

Postby Arny » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:47 am

I was silly enough not to include synthesizers in my list of musical instruments so I have tried to make it more definitive as to what goes where in the Keyboards section, as having done in the wooden bodied handheld instrument with strings attached.
The above mentioned instruments have nothing in common with when your are parting with cash for services rendered, when the Contract has __”Strings attached”. Image

I quote the USA Patent office.
An acoustic keyboard musical instrument such as a piano includes a keyboard, a mechanical musical tone generating mechanism, a fallboard, and an operation panel for an external electronic musical tone generating unit. The keyboard includes a plurality of keys aligned on a musical instrument body. The fallboard is pivotally supported by the musical instrument body and to be closed/opened so as to cover/uncover the keyboard. The musical tone generating unit electrically generates a musical tone signal in response to a key depression on the keyboard under the control of control information which is provided by switches on the operation panel. The operation panel is located at a position opposite to a performer in the inner surface of the fallboard when the fallboard is open so that the performer can operate the operation panel during his performance at the keyboard.

Here is my 109 year old Bechstein which I prefer to any other Piano because to me it sounds R & R right from the start, it does not require that extra treble EQ that we all seem to want to add to a piano recording.
These Bechstein’s were made between 1900 & 1908, I am told that Randy Newman favours these for certain songs, but also loves a 9ft Steinway (Horses for Courses), the Bechstein 's legs are round and have a huge wooden thread that screws directly into the body of the piano, it took me 12 years of searching to find mine, and is one of the most popular instrument I have in my studio.

Make sure the source of sound is right, if you have to add more electronics into the chain of events you will only weaken the sound, a straight piece of wire is perfection, that is why the battery operated Guitar never worked, the most popular guitar is the passive one, if only we could plug a Mic straight into the Headblock.

Best Regards,

Tony.
My 1900 Bechstein.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arny
Producer

Return to MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS