The Bass player & their instruments

Discussions about Guitars, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Percussion, Orchestral Instruments, etc.

Moderator: Arny

The Bass player & their instruments

Postby Arny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I would like to keep each instrument to its own thread so a Bass Player does not have to plough through Synths or other instrument posts to find what they are looking for

You have to get the source of sound right then the right mic, EQ will not make up for these things if not they are not right.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Arny
Producer

Re: The Bass player & their instruments

Postby princewest13 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 am

In my opinion, It is harder to find a bass player that is at the same skill level as most guitarists. But then, that could be just my area. Personally, I'd suggest keeping guitar and adding bass, If you have the time to get good on bass while keeping decent skills on guitar. If not, whatever feels more natural, I would assume.
princewest13
Intern

Postby yankee44 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Unless a bassist is well-educated, he'll just assume his 3kW double-stack stage rig is what he needs in a studio.

I'll take a DI to the board, and play through my single 12" amp (an Ampeg). All I need is to hear myself, at not too great a volume when tracking. If they need to mic it, it's clean enough to play nice with everyone else.

All the "great" 60's and 70's tracks were quite likely cut with a single 12" or 15" amp. In NYC, for example, the Ampeg B100 'fliptop' was prevalent in many studios.
yankee44
Intern

Postby John Eppstein » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Bass is my second instrument. I also have some definite ideas about bass in the studio - I agree that the monster live stage rig is seldom appropriate for recording - especially now when large live rooms are so rare. I recently acquired a 1965 Ampeg B-18N which may be the closest thing to a perfect studio bass amp ever made - 60 watts tube into 1 - 18" speaker. The only thing I don't like about this amp is that it has a Gauss replacement speaker in it. It's a very good speaker but not IMO the most appropriate for the amp as it's very stiff and not particularly efficient. I'm thinking of replacing it with a JBL or perhaps a Peavey Black Widow which would be a bit more sensitive.
B18n-1.jpg
B18N-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Eppstein
Engineer

Return to MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS