Hello all.

Please introduce yourself with a short post describing why you joined our forum, and your interest in recording, audio, etc...

Moderators: Arny, dbbubba

Hello all.

Postby wado1942 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 am

Hello everybody. I'm a mastering engineer that also does some recording & mixing. I have a TASCAM 85-16 1" 16-track Image

AMPEX AG-440C 1/4" & 1/2" stereo/4-track Image

and an Otari MX5050-Bii stereo deck. Image

I haven't recorded a band to anything other than tape (except for live performances) in years. Glad to be aboard.
wado1942
Intern

Re: Hello all.

Postby dbbubba » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:05 am

Welcome to the forum!

Hey! I have the twin to your AG-440C-4!
I barely ever use mine except for doing transfers for the dubbing house where it came from.
It has very low hours because it was only used to make bin loop masters for a cassette duplication system.

I have also used it to do "poor man's 1/2" 2-track mixes" a few times.
It works great for that, too.

Again... glad to have you here.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby abtech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Welcome Stephen! I finally figured out how to reply on the new layout. Love that 440. That was the first machine I ever used in a studio (I had used a PR99 for some live stuff before that). We did have an MR-70 at Sound City as well as several of the AG-440s and a couple of MM-1000s at the time . . . .
Cheers,

Frank
abtech
Producer

Postby wado1942 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks guys. I got the 440C for free actually. There was a radio station in which the leader of my former band invested. The station tanked and to try and make good, the owner gave him that 440C. He didn't need it, so he gave it to me with the idea that if I ever sold it, I would have to give him half the profit. I actually use it a lot more than I ever could expect. It sounds better than the Otari for certain. I've been recording some music on it as a 4-track and I plan to mix to it in quad once my studio gets to the point where I can bring in clients. I've also mastered a Mitch Ryder album on it! Yes, I do realize you're the one who sent me the tapes, that comment was for the other readers.

Here's a video posted to a friend's You Tube account of the last session I had in my old studio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW-1z--K ... e=g-user-u
I was playing drums while the You Tube account holder ran the control room. You can see I was actually in process of moving while the session took place.

Oh yes, and a link to the final recording (rough mix)
http://www.gcmstudio.com/audioonly/digi ... ughmix.mp3
wado1942
Intern

Return to PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF