Howdy from Texas

Please introduce yourself with a short post describing why you joined our forum, and your interest in recording, audio, etc...

Moderators: Arny, dbbubba

Howdy from Texas

Postby gtruchel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 pm

My name is Grady and I'm an analog person? Crap. I don't know how you say this. I recently bought an Ampex 8 track. Also thinking of getting another tape machine or 2. I used to own a JH-16 that now lives in Nashville with a good friend of mine. I found this board while searching for info on my Ampex. I am a web developer and IT sys admin by day but spent many years working in studios and sound reinforcement. Had a commercial room of my own until about 2004 when I moved what was left(including the JH16) to my home. I use a 16 channel DDA and also have a little Alice I just finished rebuilding. the Alice now has a power supply issue and that makes me sad. :cry: I love older analog gear and nothing makes me sadder than a tape machine that's not being used. Glad to be here!
gtruchel
Intern

Re: Howdy from Texas

Postby brianroth » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 am

Welcome Grady...I'm one of the admins here...from Oklahoma...and maybe I can be of assistance re. your Ampex. What model is your machine?

Best,

Bri
brianroth
Producer

Postby gtruchel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 am

It is an MM1100 8 track. A later model with the newer counter. It's lovely but I still need to get an MRL and some spares so I can always keep it going. I had always wanted an Ampex even back when I bought my JH16. I'm also looking into purchasing a 440 or 2 in the near future so I'm sure I will need a bit of help. I believe we have spoken back when I bought the JH16. I enjoyed talking with you back then. I'm sure I'll have a lot of things to discuss about analog with you in the future. Thanks!
gtruchel
Intern

Postby dbbubba » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey, hey! Where in Texas are you?
I'm in Rockwall just east of Dallas.

I have some Ampex spare "stuff" and a fair degree of Ampex smarts.
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby gtruchel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:18 am

I'm in Nacogdoches about 3 and half hours from you. I used to live right near your area in northeast Dallas. Interned at Planet Dallas and then worked at a couple of studios in DFW as well as a summer at Studio Tech Supply. It was back in the late 90s. I lived right between Northwest Hwy and Skillman just inside 635 back then. I'm glad to know there are people fairly close that know about these Ampex machines. I learned analog recording on MTR-90 MkII and used mostly MCIs in my Dallas days. The Ampex is a recent addition to my studio so I could probably use some guidance. It's very cool that there are some people here in Texas that are into this stuff. I've wanted an Ampex for years ever since I heard an MM1000 in Tyler about 10 years ago. My jaw dropped when I heard the sound of that thing! I'm looking into getting a 440 soon also. So far, I love this site too. Lots of good information and history.
gtruchel
Intern

Postby dbbubba » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Planet Dallas, eh?
Rick Rooney!

While you were at Planet Dallas I worked for Anvil Media (Real to Reel and Goodnight Audio.)
Rick's wife Deb worked at Anvil for a while.

Listen I am sending you a PM with my personal contact info.
I want you to call me.
I might be down in Nacogdoches later this week.
My in-laws came from farm land out east of there on Hwy. 21 near San Augustine (just past Cireno in that little hole in the wall called Denning.)
Their is a lot of family down there, so we visit occasionally.
We talk of moving down to the farm to "retire."
Maybe...
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Postby gtruchel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I liked interning for Rick. He was very good to me. He got great sounds and I learned a lot in the months I interned there at Planet Dallas. Then he helped me get some of my first audio related jobs. Now I'm in IT for my living but I dabble in studio work. I worked in audio for a good while there though. Could have kept on if I wanted. I was always able to get work. I just choose not to do it anymore after 8 or 10 years in the business. I wanted family time and not as many late nights! :)
gtruchel
Intern

Return to PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF