Howdy!

Please introduce yourself with a short post describing why you joined our forum, and your interest in recording, audio, etc...

Moderators: Arny, dbbubba

Howdy!

Postby deedubbayoo » Sat May 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Listee's,

I'm Don Walker. I am in the process of setting up a home studio. I started to attempt to record to my computer, but am having no luck. I decided to "go retro" and start gathering analog equipment because that's really all I remember from my punk/DIY days of the 80s and early 90s. It makes sense to me, because I can see things working, turning, meters flowing, etc., not to mention the warmth of the sound.

I have found a Tascam MSR 16 on Craiglist and hope to buy it this weekend. That leaves me to the console. Most all of the Tascam's I have found on CL or Ebay are around 6-900 bucks, which seems to me to be very affordable.

I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions here soon. Thanks in advance for your patience with this old dog relearning an old-ish trick.

Don
deedubbayoo
Intern

Re: Howdy!

Postby dbbubba » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Keep us posted!

I was never a fan of Tascam stuff although I certainly screwed-around with their stuff in the '80s.
Part of the issue for me was that I always found their stuff difficult to repair.
Still, when it works it works...
They aren't great, but they are functional for the most part.

One piece of advice though...
There are stupid good deals these days on analog consoles that were primarily designed as live consoles.
They can be made to work in a studio setting if you are clever.
In fact, many of the Tascam consoles are not designed for much more than studio use than the better live consoles.
I am talking routing and monitoring options.

There are a TON of bargains out there!

BTW... Where are you located?
Danny Brown
(I was going call myself Mr. B because I like people to say "MISTER" when they say my name, but then I pitied the fools.)
dbbubba
Producer

Return to PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF